As I mentioned in the Get Here When You Can post, I only received two hours of antibiotics as opposed to four. I knew that was going to be the case before it was even time to push, but I didn't really think that the possibility of her going to the NICU would actually happen.
Once Avery arrived and the chaos of delivery was over and the room cleared, we got to spend a little time holding our sweet angel. We were told that she was grunting and that it may because she was slightly "juicy" from delivery since they had to focus on cutting the cord from around her neck instead of suctioning her right out of the gate. I remember someone saying, "If the grunting doesn't go away after four hours post-delivery, then she may need to go to the NICU." Sure enough, four hours after delivery, it's still present and the pediatrician (Dr. Hale) calmly tells us that she is going to the NICU for precaution and will receive a minimum of 72 hours of antibiotics. I can still remember Dr. Hale's face looking back at me almost like he was expecting more of a reaction from me, but I asked a few questions and let them take her. Tim walked with this nurse and baby Avery in the incubator. When I saw them place her in that, I think my heart sank a little, but I knew this was just precaution.
It was very different to sit in the room without visitors or a new baby to hold. Anyone who planned to see us did not because they probably knew how we should have been feeling and seemed to just leave us alone. Unfortuantely, I didn't figure out how I should be feeling about her being in the NICU until the second day which is when the post-delivery pain really kicked in for me. My sweet friend came to see us at lunchtime and just before she arrived, we were asked to leave the NICU for admittance of a new baby into Avery's pod. We thought that Jen would have been able to go see Avery before she had to leave, but we weren't allowed in within that hour ... or the next six hours. When I realized that I couldn't see my baby for that long, then I realized how REAL this NICU "precaution" really was. But, I was also quickly reminded how fortunate we were that it was just precaution when the baby next to her was being flown to UAB. We were allowed back into the pod to visit Avery that evening and as we were entering, the UAB baby was exiting toward the helipad. I broke down. I was upset all afternoon that I couldn't see my baby during the last several hours, and some of these parents may never bring their baby home. My heart was broken!
Once we arrived at Avery's bedside, we received some great news. She could finally eat! What timing, yay! We watched her suck down 15CCs like it was nothing, and boy did she get ticked off when it was all gone. Poor baby, she had to wait four more hours to get 20CCs. It was a slow weening process to increase her forumala amount and decrease her IV. But, every four hours she would eat and eat really well! What torture though ... four hours and here's a sample ... four hours and here's a little more of that sample. But, she finally made it off the IV around 48 hours in the NICU and was doing great.
The Friday that I was discharged, I felt a little lost. Do I go home or camp out by Avery? Tim and I went to see her before going home and the nurse said that the doctor would make his rounds soon, if we wanted to wait and hear what he had to say. Of course we'll wait! When he finally came by, he said, "Well, do you want to go home?" I said, "YES! Oh my God .... can I hug you?" and he very blountly said, "No." Oh well, I still wanted to hug that stiff little man anyway, but refrained. He proceeded to tell us that we would stay in the NICU's family room that evening and then we could go home on Saturday. I don't care where I am staying tonight; I get to have my baby girl with me for more than four hours for the first time! HOORAY!
Since Tim and I had packed up the car at discharge around 11 a.m., we decided she was in really great hands and went home for a few hours so we could see Ryan, who totally didn't understand why Avery wasn't around since she was out of my tummy, and also rest before returning before visitation for other family members at 8 p.m.
I had it in my head that we would be able to hold her wire-free for the first time. But, they informed us when we checked in that she would still be hooked up to the monitors. This whole time she had four leads taped to her chest and an IV in her little hand, not to mention sore heels from the numerous heel pricks (four or more) to test her billirubin, so every time I had the chance to change her diaper or feed her, I was so nervous that I was going to hurt her or pull her skin with the tape. I am sure they were thinking, "Good grief, you have a child! Change the diaper already!"
Once we got settled, we were able to let two visitors into the room, so Tim went out to the waiting room with David, Hollye, Carter, Bryce and Brinley (no one under 13 was allowed, period, so Brin was upset this whole time) while my parents came in to visit. Dad went out and then Hollye came in, and then later David. It was a family rotation until visiting hours were over at 10 p.m. It was nice for everyone, including us, to finally get some private time with her.
Tim and I got settled in for the night as much as we could. I remember when I first walked in the room, I thought, "Hey, this isn't so bad!" But, the bed was the most uncomfortable thing; the bathroom was this sterile, white tiled room that looked like you could just hose it down; and the door to the room doesn't lock. After we learned that Avery would be on monitors, I understood the door not locking, but it does make you feel a little vulnerable. I really don't think we slept much at all - maybe in 10-15 minute increments. If it wasn't time to feed Avery then it was something else - doors opening and shutting, her monitor going off (totally alarming since I didn't know what it meant!), the nurse coming in to take Avery for her last dose of antibiotics, or us having to use the bathroom.
Around 7 a.m. I heard the door open and shut, but no one entered. We were just kind of taking our time waking up; I didn't know the nurse was waiting for us to wake up. When we finally got up, and Tim went out to get breakfast, she came in and said, "I never thought y'all were going to wake up." Lordy, we had been awake all night! Ha. Nurse Jenny proceeded to tell us that we would be discharged in a couple of hours, but not before we did our hospital photos. I honestly thought that we wouldn't get a chance to have those done because of us being in the NICU. It took a while for the lady to come around, but she made it right around lunch time, and just after we were officially told to take our sweet baby home by the same stiff doctor who was now dressed in a light, flowy golf shirt and khakis sporting a grin. He looked a lot more hugable, but I didn't dare ask him for a hug again.
At my six-week checkup, Dr. Heaton told me that the nurses and Dr. Hale, our pediatrician, did the right thing sending her to the NICU because my placenta was infected. I don't even want to think about what could have been. All I know is that I am so very thankful that the staff at St. Vincent's and our pediatrician took that extra step to make sure she was O.K. The NICU nurses were fantastic and so caring. I am so thankful for everyone who was assigned to me and Avery because we have a healthy, beautiful, baby girl!
Avery gets her first bottle
The first bottle didn't have enough in it.
Sweetpea all hooked up and laying
in her tropical bed (it was heated).
in her tropical bed (it was heated).
No comments:
Post a Comment